When discussing Facebook, I still hear people say “I don’t care what you had for breakfast or what you did yesterday; I want to do business!” If you’re one of these skeptics, consider this. The purpose of Facebook is to connect people. Business is run by PEOPLE. By connecting with people, they get to know and trust YOU, and are more likely to buy from you.
So you’ve created a great Fan Page for your business – now what? Consider these strategic ways to increase your fan base and get more exposure for your business…
The Power of Friends & Likes
- ‘Friend’ people, or suggest that they ‘Like’ your page. Invite friends of friends and those you meet while networking. By creating your personal network, you are also promoting your company.
- When someone Likes your page, your posts instantly become active on their news feed – free advertising of your page to your friend’s friends.
- Every time a user logs into Facebook, they see a feed of their friends’ recent activity … and by extension, the activity of fans on your company page.
And that’s the power of Facebook!
‘Like’ Other Businesses
- Like the Pages of business partners, vendors and customers. Facebook will notify the administrators of those Pages, and in turn, some of those may also “Like” your Page, which then exposes you to their fans.
- Find other Pages relevant to your market, like them and use your news feed to aggregate and keep track of their recent Facebook activity. You’ll have a real-time stream of these conversations that you can Like and comment on directly from your news feed.
Be Active – and Interactive
- Monitor your account, and respond to comments or questions in a timely manner.
- Take a poll. Ask a question. Start a conversation.
- Take advantage of other companies in your market niche who are not active! If their questions are going unanswered, why not step in and provide the answers? Don’t sell, just be a resource. You will drive more visitors to your brand’s page, and come across as much more interested in customers than that other brand.
Share Content via Updates or Posts
- Share useful, timely information on topics that interest your fans and are relevant to your business.
- Educational and informative posts have a greater chance of being shared.
- This is not the place to sell! Share, inform, engage!
- Content should contain links, either back to your website or to some other relevant destination.
Posts Photos & Videos – the two most engaging content formats on Facebook
- Facebook is about relationships between people, so take your brand (and your customers) and make them relatable with photos. Put a “face” to your company. The timeline feature offers a great opportunity to incorporate visual media into your brand messaging.
- When you share photos, people tend to Tag themselves, which then displays the photo to their friends – now you can reach your audience’s audience.
- Engage your Facebook fans by starting a photo contest. Give a T-shirt or mug, or simply have their company recognized on your Facebook page, for the most creative or interesting photo.
Reach out to your existing Networks
- Joining networks will help people find you – and ultimately, your business – and will help your business page rank higher in Facebook searches. Examples include your college alumni, an organization you belong to, or a company/business network.
Facebook is a powerful tool for B2B marketing and should be an integral part of your overall marketing strategy. Leverage its power to create communities and highlight the “human” side of your business, and you will unlock the true potential of Facebook.